Poem: Mask {healing hurts}

Poem: 2 Halves {RandomSkittlehead}


I don’t understand some aspects of life

Like who I am 

Or who I’m supposed to be


One side of the world is telling me I have a voice

I am free 

And I am beautiful 


That I have the ability to reach thousand of millions of people

To touch, to move

To make them happy


That I am worth more than a million dollars

That my love shouldn’t be bought through money or given away like a present on a Christmas day

That my beauty shouldn’t be valued more than my brains

That my emotions are valued and shouldn’t be walked on 


I am considered a rare beauty just like the rest of the humanity

But different in my own way, I can shine like the sun

But be just as mysterious as night

That is what one half of the world claims me to be


But the other half begs to differ

I am an object

Just meant to be a pretty face

My brains don’t mean anything, as I’m meant to be like a doll

Lifeless and controlled


My emotions aren’t valid as I am told that I’m overreacting

That I am just another pretty face

And I can be replaced within the second

That my life don’t matter as it is just one less mouth to feed if I don’t exist


I can be catcalled

And no one will pass a concerned look

That I can be hollered at from the road

And no one will defend my very innocence


Where when a boy pulls my hair or comments on my weight

I’m told “boys will be boys” or that “he likes me”

That I’m loved when I get hurt

Emotionally 

Physically 

Mentally

That I’m asking for it when I put lip-gloss on

Or I’m ugly when I wear sweatpants 


I'm asked “What I was wearing?”

When a man can’t keep his hands to himself

That he is never questioned when he does wrong

That me, the victim has to be punished


These two halves of the world are so different

That it doesn’t even seem real

One half seems to be perfect

But nothing can be perfect-


Credits:

Comments

Post a Comment